Thursday, June 21, 2012

Children's Book Review: Press Here

'Press Here'
By Herve Tullet


I saw this book in the ABC store a few months ago when Maggie and I were searching for something fabulous to buy with a gift voucher.  Maggie was busy picking other (way less cool) books off the shelf, and I didn't even stop to pick it up!  If I'd known then... :)

A few weeks later, Mum showed me the awesome book she'd bought for Ana's birthday.  And it completely rocked my world.  And I can't believe I didn't stop to pick it up that first time I saw it!  So if you're ever in a book store and you see it, pick it up.  It had me in stitches the first time I read it!

Not only is 'Press Here' totally fun and mirth-provoking, it's actually really good for teaching children to follow simple instructions, and believe me, children need explicit teaching!  I used to tutor primary school children, and have spent hours 1-on-1 with preschool students teaching them how to follow instructions!  If I had seen this book back then, I would have bought it.  It's actually educationally fantastic (early ages).  And it teaches colours (well, 3 of them anyway...) and shapes (well... 1 of them anyway), and counting as well as following instructions! :)

And it's fun! - back to the fun - because I really just love it for that too :)  Each page asks you to do something - tap on a particular dot,  rub on one, shake it a little, tip it to one side, etc. It's old school interactive.  It makes me smile :)


And it has personality...


... isn't it cute??  I highly recommend it :)  I really, really love it!!  Great from Maggie's age (2) right up till....well, her grandmother was pretty chuffed with it too :)

END OF BOOK REVIEW AND ON A PERSONAL NOTE...

I know, my first Thursday post on a book review.  

You may think that's a cop-out.  Maaaaybe, I'm overtired, and have baby-brain, and couldn't think of anything fabulously creative to write about?!!

All true.

But I also LOVE children's books.  Love.  Maybe it's the primary school teacher and future teacher librarian in me.  Maybe it's the little girl inside me who used to read a book under the table at dinner hoping nobody would notice (they always did, thank goodness, and I learned to converse and eat!).  But since I love children's books, I don't think I'll be able to stop myself from sharing some of them with you too.  And I promise to only share awesome ones, that you're bound to love too, so you practically can't WAIT for me to review another :)

Happy pressing! ;)

3 comments:

  1. LOVE this book! It's so cute! And so much fun to do/read :)

    xo Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book! I really do. It is fun, and educational.. And Fun! :)
    (Abs, you didn't mention almost the best part - I was so excited when I found this for Little One's polka-dot themed birthday party! Perfect! :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw a link to your blog through Tammy's blog so thought I'd check it out :) I am a children's book lover too, and now can't wait to pick up a copy of this book :) Thanks for the recommendation and I can't wait to read your future reviews!!

    ReplyDelete