Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Guest Post - Lauren's Gingerbread Recipe


Today's guest post is from Lauren, one of the nicest people you could ever meet!  As well as being an especially lovely person, Lauren is a talented cook.  (You might remember that she made the owl cup-cakes and Halloween cookies at Tammy's Halloween birthday party?)  You can find more from Lauren on her own Blog here.)


Hello lovely readers of Patches of Heaven! I blog over at Living Loved!  This recipe is one of my favourite things to bake and is always a hit at Christmas, so when I was asked to write a post I knew that this is what I wanted to share!




Gingerbread: 125g butter 1/2 cup treacle (golden syrup will do if you don't have treacle) 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar 1 egg yolk 1 tablespoon ground ginger 2 teaspoons mixed spice 1 teaspoon bi-carb soda 2 1/2 cups self  raising flour, sifted Icing 11/3 icing sugar 1 tablespoon lemon juice 1 egg white 1. Preheat oven to 180/160 degrees fan forced.. 2. Combine butter, treacle and brown sugar in a small pan and melt. Remove to a bowl and cool. 3. Stir in egg yolk and remaining dry ingredients to form a soft dough. 4. Turn onto plastic wrap and press into a flat disc. Rest in fridge for an hour. 5. Roll dough to 7-8mm thick on a lightly floured surface and cut gingerbread with cookie cutter of your choice. 6. Place on baking paper-lined tray and bake for 7-10mins until firm. 7. Stand on tray for 5 mins then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. 8. Decorate as desired!   Quick tip for you: Gingerbread is all about it's time in the oven, so while I've outlined a time, play around with it when making your first batch and you can decide what works best for you!

Quick tip for you: Gingerbread is all about it's time in the oven, so while I've outlined a time, play around with it when making your first batch and you can decide what works best for you!


Photobucket




6 comments:

  1. I believe I may just try these... :)

    I also now feel hungry... :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may see them at work towards the end of the week...

      Delete
  2. These look amazing! - I made gingerbread once, and mine wasn't very good at all!! Maybe I shouldn't have cooked them as long or something?? I love your cutting the shapes photos too they're so pretty! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your oven photographs Lauren :) These look good, thank you! :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just thinking yesterday about how I need to get a gingerbread recipe so I can make some and a gingerbread house for Christmas! Now I can use this one! How fun :)
    And I also love the photos! Makes me really feel like eating some right about now....
    xo

    ReplyDelete