Wednesday, March 13, 2013

A Tribute to My Hero

I was only 18, and I was very tired after being away with friends for a few days.

Those are my excuses, and I'm sticking by them!

Those are the real reasons that when I backed out of the shopping centre parking space, I accidentally side-swiped a concrete pole and knocked the front headlight and bumper bar completely off the old car that Mum and Dad had found for me to drive during the first year of having my license.

I cried all the way home that night -with my headlight held on the front of my car with duct tape (don't ask), and the bumper bar sitting there in the back seat of the car.  Seriously, I cried all the way home.

I remember parking in the driveway and going inside to where Mum and Dad were sitting in the living room watching a movie and waiting for me to get home. In a very wobbly voice I asked Dad to please come outside for a minute.  He did, and he then stood next to the car while I sobbed out a loooonnnngggg string of completely incomprehensible words describing what had happened.  I gestured, I wailed, I sobbed, I felt soooo incredibly bad about the whole thing and it evidently showed.

It was about that point that my Dad started laughing, and laughing hard.  He pulled me in for a huge hug, he told me it was 'okay', and then he walked me back inside.  He could see how sorry I was and it was an old car.  I don't remember him ever mentioning it again.

That's the kind of wonderful Father I have.  Loving, wise, funny, selfless, smart, kind.... completely awesome in every way really.

Happy Birthday Dad!!!

xo Tammy


2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Daddy!!!
    Gosh I have a million hero stories of Dad, but I think hands down the winner is when, in bear feet, he kicked that big spider down the hall way before it could run into my room.
    I still maintain that no one has ever shown greater love for me in a single moment! Bahaha.

    I also loved his silly songs (anyone remember "Nobody likes me, everybody hates me, I think I'll go and eat worms. Big ones, small ones, fat ones, juicy ones..." :P) that he would sing to me when I was in a bad mood, complete with actions and everything. You just couldn't stay mad for very long :P

    I love you Dad!!! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Dad and I were first married and I was a learner driver, I drove our car into a fence, and a metal spike ripped half the car's front panel from the car. I burst into tears and Dad was as kind as can be, as usual :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete